Support for family and carers who are caring a family member through mental health illness. 

Managing a mental illness is complex and distressing for the person who is effected but it can also have a significant impact on those around them.  

Albury Wodonga Health Mental Health Service provides support for families and connection with carer consultants to help to support a person’s recovery.

Services inlcude: 

Carer Consultants are employed in each public mental health service in Victoria.  They provide information, advocacy and peer support to family members and carers of a person accessing AWH Mental Health service.

A Carer Consultant can discuss your concerns and direct you to help and other services to assist you in your caring role.

The role of the Carer Consultant is to provide:

  • Information and support for families / carers
  • Individual and systemic advocacy at all service levels
  • Referrals to other appropriate support networks, as requested
  • Establish and foster links with other organisations
  • Secondary consultation on carer issues to mental health staff
  • Participation representing the carer perspective in service planning, delivery and evaluation.
  • Referral process

They also provide feedback regarding improvements to the delivery of local mental health services.

Families where a parent has a mental illness (FaPMI). Most parents find raising children to be both rewarding and challenging however, coupled with experiencing mental health problems it can make things seem more difficult at times.

Through timely coordinated and supportive action, this program aims to improve the lives of children, young people, parents and families where a parent has a mental illness.  It aims to help build on a person’s parenting skills and foster family connectedness, enhancing relationships for parents and children.

Support includes:

  • Parenting programs
  • Parent support groups
  • Supported playgroups
  • Support programs for children and adolescents
  • Family therapy or individual counselling
  • Access to child and adolescent services
  • Help with talking to your child’s school