Peer reviewed journal publications:
Moran A, Haines H, Raschke N, Schmidt, Koshel A, Stephens A, Opie C & Nancarrow S. (2019). Mind the gap: Is it time to invest in embedded researchers in regional, rural and remote health services to address health outcome discrepancies for those living in rural, remote and regional areas? Australian Journal of Primary Care. 25(2) 104-107 https://doi.org/10.1071/PY18201
Mason N & Hodgkin S. (2018). Preparedness for caregiving: A phenomenological study of the experiences of rural Australian family palliative carers. Health and Social Care in the Community. 27(4) 926-935 https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12710
Almufti T, Eversheim F, Johnson B, Ayonmigbesimi A. (2019). Platypnoea-orthodeoxia after left total knee replacement. BMJ Case Report, 12(10), e230771. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2019-230771
Almufti T, Eversheim F, Akra G, Kigotho, A. (2019). Rare presentation of Waldenstrӧm macroglobulinemia post shoulder replacement and dynamic hip screw procedures. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 3(3), 208-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jses.2019.07.005
Naomi Mason has presented the findings of her research, Preparedness for Caregiving, via Webinar across Victoria, invited by Safer Care Victoria.
Mason N & Hodgkin S. Invited Ian Maddocks Guest Lecturer for the Oceanic Palliative Care Conference, 2019. 10-13 September, Perth
Bridget O'Connor, Christine Imms, Claire Kerr, Nora Shields,Brooke Adair (2019). Parents' experiences of formal assessment for their child with cerebral palsy- a qualitative study. Victorian Allied Health Research Conference, Melbourne 22 Mar.
Sarah White & Emma Horsfield who were voted the Best Concurrent Session Presentation: Simulation based education to enhance tracheostomy management by physiotherapists in a regional health service. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Rochelle Shackleton. The use of a wearable camera to improve memory in a community rehabilitation setting. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Helen Still & Kirsty Paul. Modifying competency tools for people with low health literacy. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Nicole Stephenson, Emma Haynes & Erica Watchorn. KEAPS early intervention program: A tailored approach to connecting and engaging children, families and schools. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Sarah White & Brooke Winzer (2019). Insights and lessons learned as regional sites participating in a multi-centre research trial. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Moran A, Cosgrave C, Nancarrow S & Boyce R. (2019). Non-traditional roles in allied health: an under-explored opportunity to meet rural client needs and expand rural career pathways. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019. Award for best oral presentation.
Howard G, Cummings A & Moran A. (2019). Strictly Come Dancing with Parkinson's: a regional health service – community research initiative translating evidence into practice. Goulburn Valley and North East Allied Health Conference, Beechworth 2 June 2019.
Moran A, Howard G, Cummings A & Shanahan L. (2019). Strictly Come Dancing with Parkinson's: a regional health service – community research initiative translating evidence into practice. Victorian Allied Health Research Conference, Melbourne 22 March.
Moran A, Cosgrave C, Nancarrow S & Boyce R. (2019). Non-traditional roles in allied health: an under-explored opportunity to meet rural client needs and expand rural career pathways. Victorian Allied Health Research Conference, Melbourne 22 March.
Services for Australian Rural and Remote Allied Health (SARRAH) award for best rural oral presentation
Towell L, Baitch L & Moran A. (2019) Anaesthetic technique in total hip (THA) and total knee arthroplasty (TKA): A single centre audit. Australia and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Annual Scientific Meeting, Kuala Lumpur 28 Apr-3 May 2019
Current AWH-led Projects
Anaesthetics led large scale audits / research projects:
- Luke Baitch, Darcy McFarland, Don Tishan, Madelaine Hubel, Eliza Tweddle. Airway complications in patients undergoing tonsillectomy: a retrospective audit at a large regional centre
- Luke Baitch, Juan Quesada. Incidence and management of problematic BP in post operative nasal surgery patients
- Loran Towel, Barbara Robertson, Anna Moran, Jenny Furness. Effect of intrathecal morphine on post operative elective total knee and total hip replacements
- Luke Baitch, Loran Towel, Anna Moran, Helen Haines. Exploration of regional to general anaesthetic conversion rate at AWH for emergency Caesarean Sections
Other projects across the organisation:
- Anna Moran, Cath Cosgrave, Susan Nancarrow, Rosalie Boyce, Rhiannon Memery. Non-traditional roles in allied health: an under-explored opportunity to meet rural client needs and expand rural career pathways
- Anna Moran, Glenda Chapman, Ron Picard, Janet Chapman, Sally Squire, Guinivere Threlkeld & Irene Blackberry. Mechanisms to enhance hospital avoidance for COPD patients in a rural area: A mixed methods study and logic model.
- Anna Moran, Susan Nancarrow, Rhiannon Memery, Anna Griffith, Cath Cosgrave. A framework for understanding the complexity of allied health rural clinical placements: A systematic evidence review and logic model
- Anna Moran, Janet Chapman, Pat Giddings & Mark Ashcroft. A qualitative study to examine mechanisms for success through shared rural clinical governance systems in regional Victoria
- Naomi Mason, Helen Mitchell & Sue Hodgkin. An exploration of best practice in grief and bereavement service provision in regional and rural Victorian community palliative care services.
Externally Funded Clinical Trials
- Extend –IA TNK part 2 local PI Vanessa Crosby - A multi-centre clinical trial comparing two different clot-dissolving medications in ischemic stroke patients planned for endovascular stroke treatment.
- CHESTY local PI Sarah White - Multi centre trial looking at Incidence of respiratory complications in adults following major surgery
- ANZELA-QI local PI John Stuchbery - Australia wide data collection of comparative data from all providers of emergency laparotomy. Monthly reports are provided to each participating hospital, showing performance against a number of key process indicators
- Neuropyschology inpatient rehab service for stroke patients local PI Jacqueline Jones : translation to practice trial - SCV-Monash-AWH collaboration
- The healthy brain ageing program for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cognitive impairment local PI Lorainne O'Hare: a pilot randomised control trial - Single centre trial, University of Melbourne - AWH (CRC), Adapted from the Health Brain Ageing programme run by the University of Sydney, the study aims to assess to test the efficacy, feasibility and scalability of a tailored model of care using the evidence-based Healthy Brain Ageing (HBA) education program, adapted for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (HBA-COPD) and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) in the regional care setting to improve health related quality of life at baseline, 3 and 12 months.
- OT, Lily Ramsden "Enriching environments in rehabilitation settings"
- Community paediatrics, Bridget O'Connor "Parents' experiences of formal assessment for their child with cerebral palsy- a qualitative study"
- NECHAMS, Alisha Walker
Masters level students conducting their research dissertations:
- Anthea Pickett Masters in Clinical Pharmacy and Wound Care "Risk perception in people with diabetic foot disease who readmit to hospital";
- Emma Horsfield Masters in Education "Impact of family violence training in a regional centre"
Medical students / professionals undertaking their UNSW research dissertations or specialist pathway research requirements:
- Corinne Antonoff "Does Implementing a Sepsis Pathway at a Rural Hospital Improve Patient Outcomes?: An audit of compliance and patient outcomes"
- Hugh Elbourne "Supportive care measures for prostate cancer patients undergoing ADT at a regional cancer center"
- Brittany Turner "To determine the prevalence of developmental, behavioural, mental health disorders and psychosocial stressors in preschool aged children (aged 2 - 5) attending a regional community health centre"
Moran, A., Cosgrave, C., Nancarrow, S. and Boyce, R. (2018-2019). The role, function and impact of non-traditional allied health roles on practitioner, service and patient outcomes in regional and rural areas of Victoria. Department of Health and Human Services Victoria, East Division. $8300 [$5300 funded in 2018 with additional $3000 added in May 2019]