If your health service provider books you in for a telehealth appointment, they will provide you with all the required information prior to your appointment. Then…
- Make a test call to check whether your equipment (such as web-camera and speakers) and internet speed are working correctly. We recommend you complete this test well in advance of your actual appointment
- Press the 'Start video call' button approximately 10 minutes before your appointment and wait for your health service provider to join the call.
- A number of local health services have equipment and internet that can be used for your telehealth appointment. This option may be helpful if you don’t have the right equipment, have an unreliable internet connection, or if you are not comfortable using computers. Your health professional would not need to participate in the appointment, but their support staff could help you to set up and make the video call from a private room. Please discuss with your local health service prior to any telehealth appointment.
Tips for your telehealth appointment
- A quiet, private room is best. For your privacy, we recommend that you do not access telehealth in public areas such as a cafe or use unsecured wi-fi
- Make sure that you are well-lit, but avoid sitting directly beneath the light source if possible
- Dress as you would when attending a face-to-face consultation
- Have a pen and paper available in case you need to write anything down during your appointment.
- When you start the video call, you will be guided through a few steps to test your equipment. This will check whether your Internet connection is fast enough, your speakers and microphone are working correctly, and your camera is positioned correctly. Please refer to this troubleshooting reference if you have any problems.
- Click 'Allow' if you see a message at the top of your page requesting access to use your camera.
- Video call works on low internet speeds. However, lower speeds may affect the quality of the call. If your internet speed is less than what you think it should be, please contact your internet provider.
- Click the 'refresh' button once you have started the video call if you have any technical issues during the consultation.