This is a very exciting development for our community and Albury Wodonga Health (AWH) employees. The new development will provide an innovative, modern, safe space to enable our staff to better support the journey to recovery for our most vulnerable mental health patients. The expanded service will meet future demand, and provide enhanced capacity in the delivery of mental health services.
The Acute Inpatient Mental Health unit, is a dedicated facility for mental health patients (and thier famlies) with an acute level diagnosis. The new facility will be located at Albury Hospital and is part of our unique cross-border health service. This development will see the current Nolan House replaced with an expanded new state of the art acute facility, improving access to mental health care for our cross-border communities.
The new Acute Mental Health unit will be delivered under the NSW Government’s $700 million Statewide Mental Health Infrastructure Program (SWMHIP).
The SWMHIP is designed to support the delivery of mental healthcare reform across the state, and will help to address statewide gaps in inpatient services including mothers and their babies, children and adolescents, older persons and forensic patients. It will also provide facilities for patients to transition or receive care in the community.
The project will provide:
- Enhanced mental health, physical health and wellbeing outcomes for mental health consumers
- Increased access to the appropriate spaces in which to deliver care
- Enhanced capacity and improved efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of mental health services
- The delivery of infrastructure that is co-designed by consumers, their family, carers and staff
- A service that meets future demand by addressing service gaps
- Care in an environment that supports patient and staff safety (workplace health and safety, seclusion incidents).
A new acute inpatient mental health facility containing 32 beds will replace the existing Nolan House facility.
The new facility will be co-designed with staff, consumers and carers which will include the development of a project business case.
Once this important planning work is completed, construction works will then commence.
As services delivered within Albury Wodonga Health are managed by the Victorian Government under an Inter-Government Agreement, the construction arm of Victoria Health, the Victorian Health Building Authority, will be delivering the project in collaboration with Albury Wodonga Health and NSW Health Infrastructure.
Albury Wodonga Health, NSW Health Infrastructure and the Victorian Building Authority are working together on the project.